Saturday, February 2, 2008

Poll: Super Bowl vs. Super Tuesday

It's Super Tuesday vs. the Super Bowl, two huge events on the political and sports calendars coming down the pike just a few days apart. And while each has its own brand of devotee, it turns out that the two are almost equally anticipated by the American public.

Asked which they're more excited about, 40 percent in this ABC News/Washington Post poll cite the Super Bowl, which kicks off this Sunday at 6:17 p.m. But in a near-upset, very nearly as many, 37 percent, say they're more keyed up about Super Tuesday.

Could this mean that our political culture (usually apathetic or divisively partisan) is changing in this campaign of change? The Super Bowl is an American cultural phenomenon, but the numbers seem to indicate that the lack of interest in the political game is changing.

http://abcnews.go.com/PollingUnit/story?id=4223110&page=1

Let's take our own poll here. What are you more interested in, the Super Bowl or Super Tuesday. Also, pick your winners of both. And what about the Super Bowl ADs. should any of the remaining candidates run a 30-spot on Super Sunday?

The AP reported on the possibility last week:

"How about a presidential "vote for me" ad during the Feb. 3 Super Bowl? The notion of such a high-impact political commercial just before two dozen states vote has crossed some media advisers' minds. But chances seem pretty slim.

A 30-second ad during the Super Bowl is going for as much as $3 million. In an age of ultra-targeted media strategies, there are other ways for a political campaign to spend $3 million than on a commercial that would compete with some of the best spots Madison Avenue can produce."

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/01/21/ap/politics/main3734812.shtml

Would we want to see a presidential candidate's commerical on the Super Bowl. Or would they run the risk of rating below Justin Timberlake and Pepsi, Bud Light, or GoDaddy.com?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm certainly glad so many Americans want to vote now. I just hope that isn't a fluke. As for a presidential ad during the Super Bowl, I really don't care. We already have a way to avoid them if we want to. It's called the channel-up button.

Anonymous said...

Personally, I am far more excited about Super Tuesday. The Super Bowl happens every year, but this year's Super Tuesday looks to bring huge changes to our country in the next four years. I actually dislike the idea of presidential ads during the Super Bowl. It really bothers me that candidates spend such ridiculous amounts of money on advertising, and the Super Bowl ads are pretty much the most expensive thing you can buy. Some might say that it could further decrease apathy, but I'd have to say that the money is better spent elsewhere.

Anonymous said...

Jean, I defintly have to agree with you. Although I am usally more excited for the Super Bowl, this year I have to say that I can't wait to find out the results of Super Tuesday. I also think that it would be ridiculous for a candidate to spend $3 million for a 3 minute ad because there are so many more productive ways to campaign.

- Jenny

Anonymous said...

Super Tuesday: Obama
Super Bowl: Patriots (oh well)

of the two
Super Tuesday, no question

Anonymous said...

Overall, I was more excited for the Super Bowl than I am for Super Tuesday. It isn't really because of the football game (which was awesome), but I am actually going to be voting tomorrow and I feel a lot of pressure to make the "right" decision. I will be helping to choose who could be the next leader of our country and that is exciting and nerve-wracking at the same time. I still want to see the results of the election and I am happy that I get to be a part of it, but watching the Super Bowl was a lot less stressful than figuring out who I am going to vote for, so I would have to say that the Super Bowl wins.