Monday, January 9, 2012

Cheers! A toast to Popp (not soda here) Point leaders


A couple of years ago I found this random advertising map, in which the Department of Cartography and Geography from East Central University (Oklahoma) tracked where people called soft drinks whatever. It is a Blue v. Red country after all, but it’s not a Pepsi winner. The true-blue winner: “No Coke, Pop!” Not surprisingly 50-80% of us in Chicagoland call soft drinks POP. But look how Atlanta-based Coca-Cola controls the language in the South.


Okay, I digress. The point of this post is our Popp Point Scoreboard. ("Popp Points" named after graduate Alex Popp, SS Student of the Year 2006, who helped me create the blog back in the day.) Remember a maximum 10 EC points are available for blogging here till 1/13. Here are the standings as of 1/9. Points have been calculated on posts from 8/25/11 and later. In the spirit of horserase journalism, we have a four-way neck and neck lead, but even the leaders are leaving points on the track.

1. Iman K. -- 6 (bulit early lead and is holding on)
1. Kyle D. -- 6
1. Shilpa S. -- 6
1. Ralf V. -- 6
5. James H. -- 5
6. Nick S. -- 4
6. Justine L. -- 4
8. Chris D. -- 3
8. Carolyn S. -- 3
10. Danielle L. -- 2
11. Jibran A. -- 2
(Jackson E., Taylor B., Max K., Priya T, Jessica C. and Amanda Z. all have 1)

4 comments:

Mr Wolak said...

With a little more than 24 hours in the 1st Semester "Popp Points" competition, three postings by Danielle and one by Justine last night, give the twin sisters 5 each, trailing the four-way leading logjam with 6, by just one -- within the margin for error? (Just dropping some polling knowledge on you here.

The first semester horserace count ends tomorrow (1/12). Don't be kept in the gate!

James H said...

I plan on winning this race! Why? Because I love America. I was born in this great nation, and I have lived here all my life. My mother grew up in the great steel industry town of Pittsburgh PA, and my father was a good old San Diego boy. Through their teachings, I have been able to envision what this country needs.

In recent years, life-long politicians have taking control of the system and have led America in the completely wrong direction. If I win this race though, I plan on turning everything around. I will create peace for our future, stability, and safety! Thank you all, and God Bless America!

Kyle D said...

While winning the blog race would be nice way to cap of first semester,I just like the fact of having the opportunity to give my own opinions of our government and how they influences our everyday lives. Being the son of two parents that came to the U.S. from Guyana on student visas I have stayed humble in knowing that this great country that each and every citizen has the opportunity with hard work and a education they can achieve their "American Dream".

As I have gotten older, I have seen the idea of a good job and a home a decaying dream as the nation deals with problems with outsourcing, the amount of student loan debt, mortgage crisis, and the late decade recession that has hindered at business and questioned Government effectiveness with the economy. While partisanship may be at an all time high in Washington, many citizens don't want to pick parties, but elected officials that will use their seat to start compromise across the aisle in order to help Americans who work for a honest living to achieve as what was stated in the deceleration of Independence, "Life, Liberty, and The Pursuit of Happiness".

Anonymous said...

I'm actually going to choose to respond to the beverage distribution image. I've been to various parts of the country many times, and as familiar the term "pop" is with us, a restaurant in virginia will have absolutely no clue what you're talking about. They'll ask if you want a coke. And of course, a coke means something very specific here in civilized territory. It certainly seems as though our system is more efficient. "Pop" is something that refers to a generality, all soda, describing the phenomenon of carbonation. You can then qualify that request and specify which type of soda you want. Maybe someone will teach them sometime soon.